A traveling companion of the French explorer La Salle, Father Zenobe Membre, wrote in 1697 of a river called Mellioke.
The first immigrants to Milwaukee were French and French Canadian traders and trappers.
City Hall contains 107,270 square feet of office space. The balcony of the bell tower rises 320 feet above the sidewalk; the flagpole atop the tower stands 393 feet above the street level.
The third floor Council Chamber was remodeled in 1931.Juneau was a French Canadian trader who had settled his family in Milwaukee.The original aldermen numbered 15, from 5 districts, and received no salary.The cornerstone was laid on February 24, 1894, but dedication ceremonies were not held until nearly two years later, on December 23, 1895. An additional ,624 was spent on fixtures and furniture.The building is designed in Flemish Renaissance style.